Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A fire is a very devastating catastrophe to experience. When it happens to your home the emotions you feel and the stress of this situation can be overwhelming.
Here at SERVPRO of West Hills our employees are trained to not only restore your property but also to walk you through each step of this stressful situation. Our fire restoration process can be long and strenuous depending on the amount of damage. Our entire team will work hard for you and your family getting you back into your home as quickly as possible. We care about you and your property, let us help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (412) 299-5520
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.