Unattended cooking is the main cause of home fires. When cooking during the holiday season, you may be distracted by guests or cooking in ways that are out of your normal cooking routine. Don't leave the kitchen without turning off the heat, and remember to keep flammable items such as pot holders, wooden utensils, and food packaging off the stovetop. When using the oven, set a timer to remind yourself it's in use. You might want to consider keeping a lid nearby when you are cooking on top of the stove. You can use that lid to smother a grease fire. For a flame up in the oven, turn off the heat and leave the oven door closed until the fire goes out. Never use water to put out a grease fire. Keeping a box of baking soda nearby will help put down a grease fire. And last, but certainly not least, if the fire is big--everyone get out of the building, close the door to contain the flames.